The media who can talk at nauseam about balloon boy, can’t seem to put together a complete educational story about crap that really matters. Instead the media, and their overpaid experts, who opine about everything irrelevant, have yet to correct or educate anyone on one broken record statement; “Obama is moving America towards Socialism.” It really irritates me that none of these overpaid “news” celebrities even bothers to deal with “what is Socialism” and “are we really going there?”
Socialism has become the new buzz word. After all, no one is going to bother looking it up. Nor will anyone remember that near the end of Bush’s presidency, during the Wall Street bail out, the RNC labeled George as a socialist. At that time I posted RNC To Bush; You’re A Socialist which in a nut shell stated:
Republican Party officials say they will try next month to pass a resolution accusing President Bush and congressional Republican leaders of embracing “socialism,” underscoring deep dissension within the party at the end of Mr. Bush’s administration.
However, almost one year later, the GOP, RNC and all the head banging Tea Heads have now pushed that same proclamation onto Obama. Who, they say, is moving us into socialism. Honestly, a little education beyond the nonsense of Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh, would be helpful.
In a May 2009, Article in Business Week article Socialism? Hardly, Say Socialists the author points out
- Some conservative commentators have even likened Obama’s economic stimulus and regulatory initiatives to a Soviet-style takeover of the country. In February, syndicated radio host Rush Limbaugh accused Obama of waging war on capitalism.
“That’s his objective. He wants to destroy capitalism,” Limbaugh told a caller. “He wants to establish a very powerful socialist government, authoritarian. He wants control of the economy.”
- But real Socialists would vigorously disagree. They say if the Obama Administration were establishing a true socialist state, we’d have at least a $15-an-hour minimum wage (instead of the current $6.55 federal minimum) and 30-hour workweeks. Every American would be guaranteed employment and health-care coverage. Oh, and homeless people would be occupying vacant office buildings in cities and vacant McMansions in the suburbs.
- In fact, many Americans appear to be confused about what socialism actually is. In a poll of 1,000 adults conducted Apr. 6-7, Rasmussen Reports found that 53% of Americans said they prefer capitalism to socialism, while 20% said they prefer socialism. More than one-quarter, 27%, said they’re not sure which system is better. Another poll conducted this month by ConservativeHQ.com found that 70% of self-identified conservatives consider Obama’s political philosophy “Socialist” or “Marxist,” with 11% calling it “Communist.”
- Socialists say the policies Obama has pursued are hallmarks of “democratic capitalist” states, not socialist ones. “None of the societies of Western Europe are socialist, but the political influence of their strong Labor, Social Democratic, and Socialist parties make their form of capitalism much more humane than our own,” says Frank Llewellyn, national director of the New York-based Democratic Socialists of America (DSA), the largest U.S. Socialist party
- Sherry Wolf, an activist with the Chicago-based U.S. branch of the International Socialist Organization (ISO), scoffs at the idea that the U.S. is at the dawn of a socialist era. “What Marxists mean by socialism is different from what Rush Limbaugh means,” she says. “We believe the class that produces the wealth should own and control that wealth. That’s a far cry from what’s happening now. The state is propping up banks, mortgage, and insurance companies, while the lives of working people are torn apart by foreclosures, evictions, and unemployment. It’s an effort to save global capitalism from its own excesses.
Marxist, Socialist, Communist, holy crap, Republicans can’t even decide what Obama is, according to the polls above. That’s because Beck, Limbaugh and the main stream talking heads haven’t told them. And god knows, until the Tea Heads put it on a sign, they’ll never know. Oh, they forgot Marxism-Leninism we’ll save that for the next president.